Borgo San Lorenzo


In 1290 the City of Florence bought this borgo, this district, which would remain faithful to Florence and Guelphism. It would, in fact, have to bear the incursions of the enemy for tens of years afterwards: in 1303 it was invaded by the Ghibellines of Romagna together with the exiled Florentines; and in 1312 it was invaded again by the Ubaldini. In 1351 Florence, therefore, decided to build new, more solid walls around the city along with a tower.

Of the 14th century walls only few traces remain: these can be seen in via S. Martino and the gate at the end of Malacoda (via Mazzini), which is called Porta Fiorentina. In the historical centre we find the 14th century Palazzo Podestà, the Pieve di San Lorenzo, which was built in 941 and holds a Madonna that is attributed to Giotto. Not far from the historical centre we find the 18th century Oratorio del Santissimo Crocifisso dei  Miracoli and Villa Pecori Giraldi, which houses the Chini Museum and the works of Galileo Chini and his family.